Regal Heights Residence Association Executive Meeting Tuesday March 21, 2017

Meeting Minutes Icon

Regal Heights Residence Association Executive Meeting Tuesday March 21, 2017. 7 – 9 pm at 79 Regal Road

Present: Richard Cavanagh, Linda DeGiorgio, Marie Goldthorpe, John Keating (chair), Anita Kung (recorder) Harry Lay, Beth Marcilio, Peter Norman, Mary Anne Quance, Margaret Smith, Florence Watts
Regrets: Rosa Cordiano, Robert Szachrajuk

    1. Street Beautification
        1. Beautification update – Florence moved that the beautification committee be allotted $350 for this year’s budget. Linda seconded it and the motion was approved by all. An idea was proposed to plant red and white flowers in the gardens/barrels to celebrate the sesquicentennial. The sprinkler system in the Rosemount gardens was damaged during the installation of the benches. John will look into repairing it.

      Spring garden clean up will be combined with the Mayor’s clean up day this year on April 22nd with April 23 being the rain date.
      Councillor Palacio’s environment day this year is May 20th.

      1. Tree for Me community grant program – Harry reported that we have been approved for 50 trees to be planted in our neighbourhood on public or private property, front or back yards. Registration for a tree will be open from April 1 – 15th. 6 species of trees and 2 shrubs will be available to choose from including: red oak, sugar maple, birch, white pine, and serviceberry. Volunteers are needed to assist with the training and soliciting residents to receive trees. An event will be hosted on May 14th for the tree planting. Volunteers will also be eligible for free admission tickets to the Toronto Green Living show April 9 – 11.


    1. Planning, zoning, construction and communications
      1. Communications update – neighbourhood service directory and RHRA Website renewal – Peter reported that he is working with Art Dacks to update the RHRA website. They are looking into moving the website onto WordPress from the present coding system so that more people can contribute to it. The Service directory will follow after the website is renewed.
      2. RHRA logo update – John and Harry will be meeting with Melissa Frew Wednesday at 6:15 to discuss the direction to take in updating the RHRA logo.


    1. Special Events
      1. Award for Florence and Margaret – On Wednesday March 15, as part of International Women’s Day, Davenport MPP Cristina Martins presented the ‘Leading Women, Leading Girls – Building Communities Award’ to five Davenport female community leaders. Regal Heights’ own Florence Watts and Margaret Smith were among those recognized at a ceremony that was well attended by members of the Regal Heights community. Congratulations Florence and Margaret.
      2. Update on Canada 150 project – John and Harry have met with Tony Bolla regarding the RHVBIA’s initiative to do something to celebrate Canada’s 150th. No firm project has been established so far. Some alternatives suggestions include: putting Canada 150 banners on the RHVBIA light posts and distributing Canadian flags to homes in the neighbourhood.
      3. Earth Hour reminder – is this Saturday March 25th 8:30 to 9:30.
      4. Regal Heights Neighbourhood Summit – March 30, 7 – 9 pm at Oakwood Collegiate. Everyone with an interest in our community is invited to join in. The plan is to give everyone an opportunity to meet each other, learn about each other and find out if there are things we can be working on together to make our community even better. The Summit is supported by MP Julie Dzerowicz, MPP Cristina Martins and Councillor Cesar Palacio. It is organized by Marjolein Winterink (OCI Parent Chair) and Tony Bolla (RHV BIA). Want to help? Need to know more? Contact: 647 478-6992 /
      5. Pub Night reminder – the next neighbourhood pub night at the Fox and Fiddle is scheduled for April 27th, Stating at 6:30 pm. Children welcome and encouraged!
      6. Bike Clinic – John contacted Cycle Toronto and learned that they will provide ‘Safe cycling and bike maintenance’ workshops that cost about $150 (for the entire group). They have sometimes run these workshops through the Toronto Public Library. John will contact the Dufferin/St. Clair branch to see it they would consider helping us host a bike workshop.
      7. Garden show update – Florence reported that she and Linda have started planning for a garden tour to be held on June 11th. They hope to find homes east of Oakwood Avenue to participate.
      8. 2017 Street party – this year’s street party is tentatively scheduled to take place on Lauder Avenue on Saturday August 19th. If you want to help, contact Dave Meslin at


    1. Police Community partnership
      1. report deferred


    1. Finances and Membership
      Finances February 21, 2017 March 21, 2017
      Operating Fund $3,554 $4,297
      Heritage Fund 276 276
      Mt Royal Bump-out (in trust) 745 0
      Street Sale (in trust) 192 192
      Petty Cash 180 180
      Total $4,947 $4,945


  1. Other
    1. Retirement of Caroline Ingvaldsen – Caroline will be retiring on May 17th. On April 1st at the Dufferin St Clair branch is a customer appreciation day where Caroline will be saying her thanks and farewell. Caroline will be invited to the RHRA May meeting where we can express our appreciation to her for her collaboration with RHRA through the years.
    2. Garrison Creek UHN Family Health Center – The clinic officially opened on March 6, 2017. New patients are welcome to register for a family doctor. One can register in person at 928 St. Clair Avenue West, phone: 416 603-5888 or online at The catchment area for patients extend from Eglinton to Dupont, and Keele to Spadina.
    3. Scotiabank closed – the branch at the corner of Oakwood and St. Clair closed today. It is not known what will become of the building.
    4. Garrison Creek Street signs – Marie mentioned that it would be nice to have street signs to mark the path of the Garrison Creek through our neighbourhood as she has seen on Niagara Avenue. John will make inquiries through Councillor Palacio. Margaret has not received any response regarding the missing Garrison sidewalk markers.
    5. Florence inquired about installing plumbing in a garage – Harry informed us that the OMB made a decision last November that plumbing, electricity, cable and other services can be installed in a garage, so long as it is not used as a living space and there is other parking available behind the front line of the house. Building permits are required.

Next Meeting: Tuesday April 18, 2017 at 7 p.m. 2 Glenholme Ave (home of Harry Lay).